The simple right to exist

Many of us have marvelled at the people in our lives who do nothing but achieve fame and glory and popularity beyond measure.

But what on earth have they done to achieve it?

I once knew a man (who was really a boy) who would sleep around with all the girls in the place I worked. When I tried to ask him for advice on how to approach a girl in the same shopping center, his response was that I was "weird."

This struck me in the most awful and unforgetable way. "Weird?" I said."In what way?" Here he tried to re-center himself and come up with something entirely different veiled as an explanation. "Well," he said,"Not weird in any way that is bad to others. Weird to yourself."

I was livid that whole week. It felt as if a pint of plasma had been thrown onto the ground in a sudden gush and I was spending the whole week trying to regain it.

This happens quite a lot. And I don't think I'm ambitious in saying that it happens to many of us. Especially those who need to be built up. It seems like these popular and showy people take a great deal of pleasure in stealing a piece of our soul.

Then they go around stealing other hard working peoples' girlfriends, money and emotional energy.  There seems to be a kind of worship towards these people in society. As if their right to do these things is enshrined and protected as a beautiful thing.

This all comes down, I realise, to the feeling that one has a RIGHT to do things that many people couldn't get away with because they aren't popular or charismatic enough. There is no love here. Nothing to better the human race. Only a disdainful, animal-like rot that people find beautiful.

Without being a snob about the whole thing, I think it's fair to say that the most important thing here is to feel the right to live and love just as much as these people do. It's not about pushing down or dismissing other peoples' rights, but about making your voice heard even when you don't feel it's worth anything.

In this respect, an aspect of machavellianism enters which is quite valid. Have no friends who do not think the world of you. Feel the right to take flight. Anything you felt too weak to do before because of other parasitic leaches, do and don't apologise for it, unless it hurts someone else.

Comments