The world is changing in astonishing ways Marian. I remember visiting a bookshop during the time I was studying via correspondence - I was in the middle of my final BA exams- and had been engaged in a very genial chat with the bookstore manager, a frowzily dressed middle aged woman who it came out in the course of conversation, also had a son my age who had been studying music. I commented that  it'd be a good idea to meet the guy and shoot the breeze about music etc. I didn't think anything of it. She was a very easy breezy type, the typical frizzy haired bookshop type, heavily outfitted in flannel and tweed. She mentioned in a very maternal kind of tone:  "You don't look 30, more like 23." I thanked her. "I suppose I get in a lot of beauty sleep" I chuckled. A couple of minutes later I said goodbye and it'd be great to hang out with her son some time. She suddenly seemed dismissive, even hostile about the idea. Then I realized it was because I mentioned the words beauty sleep! She thought I was after her son sexually even though I am very much hetero! She thought I was effeminate or something. It struck me as a bizarre fact that life has become so charged with gender and sexuality. 

More recently I find myself in a society that is even more obsessed with sex, sexuality. In this sex drenched society there are daily offers and innuendos of love and affection from complete strangers. To a point where I don't venture to shops staffed by people who I know to be particularly amorous. The whole dynamic seems unhealthy. I don't want servants, but equals, yet the locals think that my white skin is kingly and relegates them to the eternal love slaves that so many lecherous middle aged men come to Thailand to enjoy. 

In the general picture, we are in the midst of an epidemic that it is becoming widely obvious at this point, did not come about naturally, but from - let us be generous - an accident; perhaps a spilt vial in the Wuhan institute of virology, from someone who was reluctant to change a lab coat and thus unwittingly engaged in spreading the disease far and wide that day. The funders of the gain of research program - Gain of research being a process whereby normal strains are made more deadly, came from the US. Yet we cannot mention this because it touches on progressivism in the US under the Obama administration who funded the program. The idea is to foster and nourish progressivism, to carry its torch, and that means that to be a good person means carrying a Christ-like burden for the left. That is the meaning of citizenship in the modern era.

I ask myself, is this not a misattribution of virtue? Why should gay people and black people be used as political tokens to protect things that happened in the dark due to surreptitious programs ? Is this not the use of the truth to put the sexes, the genders, the different persuasions against each other.? The burden we must wear as citizens is to never raise an eyebrow to the left, no matter what happened that day in the Wuhan institute of virology. In doing so, we are called good citizens. A thousand deaths in inner city Chicago due to a massive psychological pressure cooker caused by lockdowns. A thousand shops looted in South Africa. This Christ-like burden means  going wherever the building of an emerging morality requires. Lest we judge. But this is a mantel being worn politically, not morally. Surely gays and blacks and transgender people deserve the right to escape a contempt which is the due debt of irresponsible politicians? Surely Truth deserves a better name than "right wing" or angry or mysoginistic? Surely the truth needs a better rap? 


Comments