An interview with Iva Anna Lilou: Bats Over Hawkins

 So, Iva, you're certainly one of the more beautiful writers we've met.

Thank you.

You're also one of the smartest. Tell us what you think of the situation with Stranger Things. First of all, do you watch the series? 

Well, it's actually not one of my favorite series; although I can see why so many people enjoy it. I prefer more soulful stuff. 

Right, give us some examples then?

Alright, well have you ever seen the cinema reproduction of Never Let me go? 

I have. It's also one of my favorites.

Oh really? You and I might have a lot in common then. Anyway... You had a question about Stranger Things...

Yes, I did. What if the internet is a hive mind and the world is Hawkins, then who are the bats? 

I suppose there are many philosophical questions surrounding the season finale of Stranger Things. How will it all come together; and will it involve bats? Does Eddy Munson come back?

The bats for me are the trolls that appear in great numbers on the internet. A great horde of paid Chinese and Russian trolls that keep getting the dems reelected

Why do we Watch Stranger Things? 

There are plenty of parallels between real life and the world described in Stranger Things.

You're on the money there Iva. What do you think the upside down world represents?

For me it's about the subconscious fears that drive us if we give them power. We live in extraordinarily dark times. I think we all have an upside-down world in us. It might even be the same place. We might go there when we have bad dreams...

Interesting that you should say that. A lot of people are having the same dreams lately.

Have you heard about the back-rooms? 

Yes. Those are particularly interesting to me. I've had a lot of back-room dreams. 

Really? 

Yes. Specifically dreams where I'm stuck in this place without anyone. Or you're the last one in an office building after work hours. In my case I get stuck in-between the walls without knowing why.

In the evil days of the ages full of turbulence


There will be many fears and dangers;


There will be men possessed by devils.


Nichiren (c. 1271)




Comments