Emotional Support For Those Stuck in the Dark Room

 The dark room is a place where we originally found comfort. A bedroom stacked with PS4 games and dreamy lights and posters on the wall reminding us of our best memories of the past.

The windows are closed. The curtains are drawn, and everything feels like a cocoon from the forces of the outside world, be they the city with its gut-wrenching chaos or a world that simply doesn't understand us. 




Getting Stuck in Darkness 

Darkness and airlessness start off as a great place to hide, but as we get older, the demands of the world begin to impress themselves on us. We can no longer hide from our desire to build something that's less of a cocoon and more of a kingdom. We don't ask for much, just a loving partner, a better social life, a more healthy and productive mindset. 

Super-stimuli like pRon and video-games can make us love the darkness, such that the darkness begins to live in us and disallow us from seeing life for what it is. 

Always in a Dark Room

I remember the time I realized that no matter where I went, I still carried the dark room with me. I used to go to the beach and hike the mountains with friends, but still, that cocoon was with me the whole time. 

The sun was shining, but I was still in the dark room. The sun just felt like a bigger light-bulb.

I knew that people were looking at me strangely. I knew that I didn't feel real anymore. 

Help Yourself




Many of us have lost our bearings on account of our unhealthy habits. 

With the advent of VR, this will only intensify. So how can we combat this feeling that our soul's being leeched by the darkroom of our stagnant selves?

The key is to immerse ourselves in nature and healthy social activities. For me, this meant surfing or climbing a mountain. For you, it might mean paragliding or going on a skateboarding mission or just a super-strenuous cycle. If you can do this socially, it will help even more, but you may not be ready for that. Avoid social drinking if possible, as this can be a slippery slope back to the dark room. 

A great idea for combatting the dark room is to go on a road-trip somewhere, stay at a local backpacker and meet people whose sole purpose is also adventure out in nature.

The point is that immersion is going to help you live again. The dark room is not where it's at, and the more you step out of it, the more you'll know where your destiny truly abides. 

Comments