Time to say goodbye to Lions' Head

 When I first began to walk Lion's Head in Cape Town, I was amazed at just how perfect the walk was. It felt too good to be true. Down below was the pulsating city with all its madness and its trend junkies and its crazy rabid addictions and its calmness. And here, here was the most perfect walk on earth.



Here was a place that you could walk up or run up and no one would judge you. Sure, parking was always  little bit of a challenge, but once you got through that, you were home free. In fact, you wish you could be there forever. Set up camp somewhere and forget the world.  





I miss that walk. I simply won't do it anymore because it's become far too popular. Americans in their Lululemon and Under Armor gear are noisy. Then there are the Jo'burgers who come from the north to put their iron-cast views on the rest of the world, not to mention the tik-tokkers, instagrammers, youtubers, bloggers, and drone operators. 


It's time to say Goodbye to a place I once loved. And as I head off to South East Asia, I'm not even that sad about it. It'll all work out. But I'll often look back and think of those times, those fresh breezy hikes up Lion's head where the world seemed to stand still and it seemed you could walk among the giants. 

Comments