The Admirable Greek Summer

 In one of my blue-water summers, which was always chronologically just between two states of going mad, I fell into the company of a certain Greek businessman who owned a Hi-So restaurant on the Warf in the absolute richest part of the country called Hermanus. 

He used to go out surfing with his expensive, fantastically-silent car and I would go with him and we'd have a lot of fun on that mission. He brought me in thought back to other Greeks and Jews I'd known at school on the Water-polo team. 

It was a great time and he was no jock. And  I've always dreamed of Mykonos and blue-water summers in Greece. 

But I will just part with one thing about the Greeks, which is that they always wear white, or seem to wear white because of their crisp manner of behavior. They are for sure the most crisp and elegant in certain respects; even more so than the Italians. The Italians are in fact too showy, but to the Greeks, wealth becomes them. They are wonderful in that respect. 

And although I was no sportsman, when Taki, the rich Greek man in his mid forties and I surfed, I never felt cast down low like the jocks made me feel in school. And this is despite the fact that the Greeks are great sportsmen and have traditionally always been so, for as long as the Greek civilization has existed. 

I will say this though: Whatever wisdom the Greeks have, they owe to the elegance of nature of which they have an innate and instinctual knowledge. When the Greeks approached Jesus on a matter, he said "Unless a seed falls to the ground..." And in this metaphor, the Greeks were able to extract much understanding. That is a very Greek thing too. 



The Greeks

Comments